Skip to main content

Lice


"Lice (Pediculus capitis) are small parasitic insects exquisitely adapted to living mainly on the scalp and neck hairs of their human host. Their six impressive legs are elegantly evolved to grasp hair shafts and provide a striking example of biological specialization. Long associated with people, head lice have been recovered from prehistoric mummies. Head lice are equal opportunity parasites; they do not respect socio-economic class distinctions."
-(http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/headlice.html#what)


Yes, lies do the same thing but on your brain. They grasp on your
thoughts and are difficult to remove once adopted by your consciousness, and require some homework on your behalf in order to decode the different components that makeup the lie. The task of disecting the lie can sometimes hurt a friend, sever business
relationships, but above all lies are mockery to your intelligence.
Lies, like lice, have been around for a long time and "do not respect
socio-economic class distinctions."

Well, you must be questioning why I'm writing these lines about lice,
lies… As a beauty editor and makeup artiste, one of my biggest
responsibility is to inform you of what I consider 'the best'
products on the market. Sometimes on the basis of best price,
performance, ingredients, or simply a good product overall. I can
assure you, I will not review, recommend or nix a product if I have
not tried it on myself, EVER! (Yes, I do test girly makeup on myself;
I'll post a picture soon.) So, feel confident about my edits, upon my personal experiences with them (products) I report to you, and if you have a question, e-mail me. But to finish this bullet-like entry
on this blog, let me throw some "Confessions Of a Make Artiste" about
what have stirred my intestines when it comes to lies.

Lice right on your face: The "Magno Huevo de Oro" is given to an
article that was written by Mari Rodriguez Ichaso in Spanish Bazaar
about 'moi'. Mari is a wonderful and intelligent woman, pretty
'conocedora' of the know, and I appreciate the intention and the free
press, but this boo-boo was a magnum one. I do not know if the
intention came from an ex-agent at Halley Resources, whose boyfriend's makeup images where posted on the article that talks about MY makeup. All the images were supplied by the agent to Mari, so there you go, figure that one out. An article about Monet with paintings by "Juan del Pueblo." Nice! Not that I am comparing myself with Mr. Monet, but you know what I mean.

Then, THEN, the article states that, and I translate: "Karlo, who
learned much of his techniques from photographer Leonardo de Vega…"
WHO? Leonardo WHO? Come on, I know Mr. Vega was a known makeup artiste-turned-photographer in the times of Studio 54, when everything was dusty-white, hence hyper, but I have not learned a "pepino" from him. I have no idea where this came from, no idea, but this is one of the biggest lies printed in the history of written articles about Karlo. Most of what I know today came from my mother and the rest is self-taught. Yes, this one was a major 'tripa' twister.

On the other side of lies, you have paraphrasing, yes, that horrible
technique often used by editors in which sometimes the message gets
distorted. Among recent ones is the one published in an article about
Karlo in Caras Magazine. The article digs deep into what has shape me
into a beauty lover. I talk about my mother of course, and an evil
family member she guarded me from. I narrate how malevolence and
debauchery was masked by sainthood. The latter was never quoted:
"Sometimes I think my mother guarded, forged, a niche called beauty.
It was a fortress against the ugliness that slaughtered our family
nucleus, that ugliness was masked by sainthood, and shared a common
lineage, our own blood."

So don't be fooled by lies, lice… Ask questions, seek the truth, and clean your sheets often. Remember, they "do not respect socio-economic class distinctions."

Beware.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry Skin No More... Two Of My Favorite Products...

(Above: Artist Pepe Villegas) Last night following my usual 'espiritista' Thursday meetings - as I lovingly call my spiritual posse gatherings, The Waking Circle - with some amazing guys, in Chelsea ;-), the subject of dry skin came up. And, of course, I gave my best advice for the Fall/Winter season already making our skin drier and itchy. Organic Coconut Oil RIGHT AFTER TAKING A SHOWER/BATH, while your skin is still damp, smother it with some * organic coconut oil . The coconut oil will sink into your skin right away unlike anything with artificial petroleum based oils. You neither be putting on any parabens or weird ingredients that may be absorbed through your skin making you more toxic. For the first fifteen minutes after application your olfactory receptors will take you to some exotic Caribbean destination. Not a bad idea for a body lotion that works as aroma-visualizing-therapy in the dread of winter. It won't interfere with any other colonias or fragrance that...

Denise Quiñones. What a Beauty!

(click on any image to enlarge) What a beauty Denise is. This is the original image that was used for the cover of "Revista Caras," which I produced in the city of New York, and I say beauty, because as you know, beauty gets delivered in many ways. In this particular case physical beauty is not questioned, actually beauty is not questioned at all, because Denise is a trooper when it comes to positive energy, bringing that aura everywhere she goes, but she also has a noble soul. I say all that, because she decided to do this photo-editorial for Caras the day after she arrived from Canada, after weeks of hard work while she tapped Smallville with Superman :-). She arrived on time at my friend Olivier's apartment on 56 Street, where we shot, and she stayed bubbly and happy all throughout our shoot. Mind, next day she was taking an early flight to "la-la Land," where she was to do nothing for the 2005-06 Holidays, and she had not packed. She needed a well deserve...

Fashion Night Out...

Ruben Toledo, Isabel Toledo + Karlo. (Remember, 'click' on any photo to enlarge.) Fashion Night Out was a success! Although it went unpredicted it was lots of fun. We were supposed to map it like this: Barney's, Bergdorf, Louis Vuitton, and then see my friend Olivier at Longchamp. But the Universe intended us to do something else, just Barney's... surrounded by glory; Ken Greene & Douglas Muller of the Hudson Valley Seed Library , Valerie & Jean of 'Ideiosyncraticfashionistas ', Rod Keenan , millinery maste,r and Ruben & Isabel Toledo who graced us with their passion, style, and wonderful sketches. Side note: For the record, I think Isabel Toledo and Ruben are the hottest couples right now in the contemporary art world. Talent, passion, style, vision, 'cultura'... what else can you ask for? Woof! Ken Greene, Douglas Muller, Maria LaBoy & Karlo. Jean & Valerie from 'Idiosyncratic Fashionistas' Ruben Toledo, his ...